VOLUNTEER POSITION DESCRIPTION: CONTENT WRITER
(remote, short term role)
OLANCHO AID FOUNDATION
ABOUT OLANCHO AID FOUNDATION
The Olancho Aid Foundation, Inc. is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit, Catholic organization building an economically sustainable community in Honduras that provides families an opportunity to stay well, stay together and an option to stay in Honduras. It works collaboratively with the Diocese of Juticalpa to accomplish this mission through the Olancho Aid Institute and the management and support of a college-prep high school, school for students with special needs, and educational opportunities for international volunteers, groups and strategic advisors.
The Content Writer is a short term (4-8 months), remote position focused on exploring and documenting the history of the Foundation. The volunteer is responsible for research including interviews of friends of Olancho Aid, transcribing interview content, and developing the following: a micro monograph of the foundation’s history (5,000-10,000 words), an organizational timeline, and a summary narrative (300-500 words).
The content writer will report to the Executive Director and work with the Director of Advancement.
● Schedule, conduct, and transcribe (remote) interviews of friends of Olancho Aid Foundation in the United States and Honduras.
● Catalog interview videos, images, and transcriptions so they may be accessed in the future.
● Work with the Director of Advancement to identify stories that support development activities.
● Generate ideas and content for communicating the organization’s history on digital platforms and print publications.
The successful candidate is one who is interested in learning about the origins of the Olancho Aid Foundation and has outstanding writing, editing, and research skills.
● A Bachelor’s Degree in English, Communication Studies, Journalism or a related Field.
● Demonstrated writing and research experience.
● Excellent grammar & engaging written communication.
● Self-editing skills.
● Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and DropBox.
● Experience in a role that required successful remote work skills with minimal supervision.
● Demonstrated experience in a position that required exceptional written, speaking and listening skills.
● Demonstrated attention to detail.
● Ability to tailor writing style to suit the target audience.
● Capacity to work on multiple, related writing projects simultaneously.
● Previous experience volunteering with Olancho Aid Foundation.
● Experience in a Catholic faith-based environment.
● Experience in Central America.
● Fluency in Spanish.
● Perceptive listener with corresponding excellence in verbal and written communications.
● Finely-honed attention to detail.
● Personal value system that encompasses a solid work ethic, personal integrity, conscientiousness and strong moral character.
● Self-starter, and self-motivated.
● Political astuteness.
● Positive, enthusiastic, professional image in representing the Foundation.
● Ability to complete work within the parameters of a deadline.
● Ability to think clearly and reason well, and willingness to ask questions, solve problems and figure things out.
This is a remote, short term position for the purpose of developing a written history of the Foundation. The project timeline is 4 to 8 months. The schedule is flexible, though a minimum of 3-6 hours per week is expected initially. If you are interested in learning more, please send your resume and samples of your writing to [email protected]