Christ House, a 24-hour short-term medical respite facility for men who are experiencing homelessness in Washington, D.C., is seeking an Assistant Coordinator. Plan and coordinate activities that provide opportunities for community building, creative expression, positive social interaction, leisure skills, education, and diversion as means to enhance the quality of patients’ lives.
The position is part of DC Service Corps, a program that prepares volunteers to build a foundation for a lifelong commitment to social activism and their Catholic faith through a meaningful year of service in Washington, DC for 11 months. Volunteers dedicated to direct service are placed with partner non-profit agencies to work directly with vulnerable communities.
- Plan and coordinate activities and events for Christ House patients.
o Lead activities, work with volunteer activity leaders, choose movies to be shown in the building, and arrange for outside speakers. Encourage patient participation in Christ House activities. The Activities Coordinator maintains a record of attendance at activities. Activities should support medical, social, spiritual, and recovery needs.
- Be present in the building and available to play games (chess, checkers, Scrabble, ping-pong, etc.) and interact regularly with the patients
- Accompany and transport patients to medical and case management appointments as needed.
- Participate in weekly Community Meetings for all patients.
o Makes announcements of forthcoming activities at these meetings and contributes to meetings as requested.
- Accompany and transport patients to medical and case management appointments as needed
- Assist the Development Office
o Provide physical assistance/supervision help with mailings.
o Assist with emails/Facebook, and creativity in communications.
o Attend outreach events as needed.
o Gather patient stories and photos for use in written and online communications.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required.
- Experience in direct services is preferred but not required.
- Submit an application by visiting the following webpage: https://franciscanmissionservice.org/programs/dc-service-corps/#application
- Or by emailing [email protected] for more information
- Young-adult Catholics with a heart for service are encouraged to apply, even if they may not meet every qualification listed above