Christ House, a 24-hour short-term medical respite facility for men who are experiencing homelessness in Washington, D.C., is seeking a Respite Care Assistant. This position offers an incredible opportunity to work alongside a dedicated clinical staff. Under the supervision of the Clinical Director, the Respite Care Assistant is responsible for providing basic patient care, including assistance with activities of daily living and care of the environment.
The position is part of DC Service Corps, a program that prepares volunteers to build a foundation for a lifelong commitment to social activism and their Catholic faith through a meaningful year of service in Washington, DC for 11 months. Volunteers dedicated to direct service are placed with partner non-profit agencies to work directly with vulnerable communities.
- Measure and record temperature, blood pressure, pulse, respirations, height, and weight as ordered.
- Welcome and orient new patients to the respite unit.
- Assist patients in maintaining a clean environment.
- Assist patients with activities of daily living as needed (shower, shave, dress in clean clothing, etc.)
- Assist patients to attend scheduled meetings and meals and prepare patients for outside appointments.
- Complete daily cleaning assignments to include: laundry room, treatment room, patient rooms, and showers.
- Understand and promote safety and infection control policies and procedures; perform job in a safe manner (i.e. universal precautions, hand-washing, use of gloves, etc.).
- Understand role in emergency situations both medical (i.e. patient falls) and mental health emergencies (i.e. patient who presents a clear danger to themselves or others).
- Perform other duties as requested.
- 1+ year of patient care work or experience working with the medically underserved is preferred.
- Interest in working in a healthcare setting and a career as a medical/nursing professional
- Submit an application by visiting the following webpage: https://franciscanmissionservice.org/programs/dc-service-corps/#application
- Or by emailing [email protected] for more information
- Young-adult Catholics with a heart for service are encouraged to apply, even if they may not meet every qualification listed above