Felician Volunteers in Mission (VIM) is collaborating with Deo Gratias Ministries Detroit to provide this volunteer experience. Founded by the Felician Sisters in 2018, Deo Gratias offers unconditional hospitality, where all are welcome. We are seeking lay women and men aged 21-39 to volunteer in the following areas of the ministry:
Deo Gratias Café: Welcome and serve our neighbors with a ministry of presence. Listen and identify needs we can help serve.
Food Pantry: Stock shelves, pick up donations, check in guests and help them make food selections while learning a little more about their lives and needs.
Literacy Program: Work one-on-one with adults or children to assess and help build their reading skills. Develop relationships with our neighbors as you work with a particular adult or child throughout the program.
Community Garden: Dig, weed, plant, harvest and share vegetables and herbs to bring healthy and flavorful foods to the neighborhood.
Art Program: Bring your inner artist to help with a variety of art classes including stained-glass, rock painting, canvas painting, and making mosaics to bring beauty and pride to our guest’s homes and neighborhood.
Programs are currently offered for limited times throughout the week — volunteers will help us expand programming.
Work and live with others who share a common desire to make a difference in the world.
• Room and board
• Private bedroom in an urban residence in Detroit, Michigan
• Monthly stipend
• Access to a communal car and car insurance
• Retreats at a Felician center in Holly, Michigan
• Vacation and holiday time
• Emotional, spiritual, and personal growth
• Development of professional and practical skills
• Community (belonging, unity, support, and encouragement)
• Cultural, social, and economic awareness
• Immersion in Felician and Franciscan values
• volunteer for a 10-month period (September through June)
• live on-site in a community setting
• participate in or be respectful of daily prayer
• share volunteer experiences through daily reflection.