To apply or get more detail about our service year, go our website: www.stjosephworkers.org
This is a collaborative position with the Sisters of St. Joseph (Celeste’s Dream) and St. Catherine University. Throughout the year of service, the SJW will work alongside staff, student interns, and volunteers, and report to Celeste’s Dream Co-Director.
- Engage in a local food community.
- Address food insecurity issues at St. Catherine University and with St. Mary’s Health Clinic clients
- Learn small-scale, urban, sustainable farming techniques.
- Build professional relationships with faculty/staff from various disciplines, local social justice organizations, CSJ community members and broader community partners.
- Coordinate and support the St. Kate’s/CSJ Food Shelf operations, including stocking, statistics gathering/reporting, donations, etc.
- Coordinate and lead the food shelf team of student workers, interns, volunteers during food shelf weeks in set up, restocking, cleaning, greeting clients, and clean up. The SJW will also delegate tasks and projects among the team from a list created with Food Shelf Managers.
- Coordinate and operate the SMHC Whitby Clinic Pop-Up Food Shelf.
- Facilitate food recovery process – Pick up prepared meals from Chow Girls, distribute food remaining after each food shelf to other partners to minimize food waste.
- Support grant writing.
- Participate in monthly Food Insecurity Project (FIP) meetings at St. Catherine University.
- Collaborate with St. Catherine University Community Leader Interns, faculty, staff and students in program development and facilitation that meet the needs of our time. Topics include: sustainability, food insecurity, homelessness…
- Participate in weekly community garden night gatherings offering leadership in photo and harvest documentation.
- Plant, harvest, and aggregate fresh produce from local gardens and farms, including Highland Catholic, St. Kate’s and Tacheny Farm, to process and distribute in the food shelf.
- Produce digital documentation of programs and events along with written content.
- Educate St. Kate’s/CSJ community about campus food insecurity, food shelf resources, and urban agriculture/community gardens through class presentations, written articles, workshops, etc.
- Support environmental sustainability projects with the Sisters of St. Joseph and St Kate’s through Earth Partners Working Group of the CSJ Justice Commission and beyond
- Develop and support other Celeste’s Dream programs based on interest.
- Performs other duties as requested.