Are you a matchmaker? An organizer? A problem solver? Loves to help people? This might be the service position for you!
Position Summary: As the lead of a group of volunteers and staff making up the hospitality team, you will help to ensure that clients of the St. Paul Opportunity Center are well connected with available resources. In the spirit of compassion, friendliness and with a warm welcome, you will encourage and empower clients in their personal growth and stability.
• Along with Catholic Charities staff, give direction and support to volunteers.
• Actively engage clients of the St. Paul Opportunity Center.
• Assist with special projects that promote engagement, such as helping at the front desk, service desk, or hygiene support service areas.
• Promote healthful problem solving.
• Connect clients with on-site service providers through personal introduction. Support development of service-provider/client relationships.
• Explore resources and maintain familiarity with resources available to clients by meeting with on-site service providers as well as accessing on-site and web-based resource guides.
• Possibly instruct clients in the use of personal computer applications such as the internet and Microsoft Office.
• Encourage healthful socialization and personal development by promoting participation in on-site social programming.
• Report unhealthy or unusual behaviors exhibited by clients to designated staff.
• Work collaboratively with service team members such as education providers, social services, industry representatives, volunteers and Catholic Charities staff.
• Excellent communication skills with ability to make culturally appropriate adaptations with regard to communication and personal presentation.
• Intermediate-level skill in use of internet and Microsoft Office applications is helpful.
• Excellent interpersonal skill with ability to proactively engage strangers, understand issues surrounding homelessness, as well as identify with people experiencing homelessness.
• Knowledgeable of and/or trainable to intermediate level of familiarity with resources available to people experiencing homelessness.
• Ability to patiently listen to people with possible mental health challenges and/or other issues.
• Ability to manage high-traffic and noisy environments.
• Experience working with persons from diverse racial, ethnic, homeless populations, and/or economic backgrounds.