About Franciscan Mission Service:
Franciscan Mission Service (FMS) is a nonprofit organization that provides Catholic women and men the opportunity to serve in solidarity with economically marginalized communities around the world. FMS trains, sends, and supports lay Catholics to serve others in a way that is respectful of cultural and religious differences.
About the DC Service Corps Program:
The DC Service Corps (DCSC) Program offers young-adult Catholics opportunities to learn about nonprofits, deepen one’s commitment to service, grow in faith, and live out the Franciscan values daily. In the spirit of Saints Francis and St. Clare, volunteers serve for a year in various ministries, sharing Christ’s love and cultivating relationships of peace and justice.
This transformative experience is enriched by an intentional Christian community, in which volunteers focus on simple living, prayer, reflection, and living the Gospel mission of “service and action for a more just and humane world.” As a house of hospitality, Casa San Salvador provides volunteers with the opportunity to live with (and offer hospitality to) guests from around the world.
DC Service Corps Program – Program Assistant
Desire to work at one of the most dynamic schools in the country while living in Washington, DC? Do you have a heart for education but a hesitancy to serve as a classroom teacher?
The Program Assistant volunteer will serve with the Corporate Work Study Program (CWSP) at Don Bosco Cristo Rey High School, which empowers and enables under-resourced high school students to succeed in the professional workplace while preparing for college with Christian values essential for successful and fulfilling lives.
DC Service Corps volunteers build a foundation for a lifelong commitment to social activism and their Catholic faith through a meaningful year of service in Washington, DC. Volunteers dedicated to direct service are placed with partner non-profit agencies to work directly with vulnerable communities.
Both volunteers serving in the community and those in the FMS office live in intentional community, pray together, and strive to be witnesses to justice and peace. Leadership training, professional development, mentoring, faith formation, and educational seminars inspired by the Catholic Social Justice tradition round out this transformative experience.
– Collaborating with staff to support the CWSP’s goals and strategies
– Engaging with students during morning check-ins at metro station
– Facilitating transportation arrangements for students to/from their work placements
– Maintaining proper personnel files for students and CWSP employment partners
– Assisting with CWSP events, activities, and outreach
– Participating in staff meetings and trainings
– Must be 21-35 years old and have a desire to develop servant leadership skills
– Have a demonstrated commitment to service, social justice, and one’s own faith development
– Open to learning about Franciscan spirituality and committed to living in intentional community.
-Passion for working with high school students from culturally and racially diverse backgrounds
-Interest in helping students navigate and learn from new, professional experiences across a variety of government, nonprofit, and business sectors.
-Ability to model professionalism in speech, dress, and attitude
-Ability to pass a background check
-Proficiency in Salesforce preferred, but not required
-Spanish or French language skills helpful, but not required
-Education or counseling background helpful, but not required
– Experience working with a mission-based organization
– Friendships through life in intentional community
– Professional development and spiritual formation
– Monthly stipend, health insurance, and a fully-furnished bedroom.
How to apply:
– Submit an application by visiting the following webpage: https://franciscanmissionservice.org/programs/dc-service-corps/#application
– Or by emailing [email protected] for more information
– Accepting applications until July 31, 2020 or until the position is filled