About Franciscan Mission Service:
Franciscan Mission Service (FMS) is a nonprofit organization that provides Catholic women and men the opportunity to serve in solidarity with economically marginalized communities around the world. FMS trains, sends, and supports lay Catholics to serve others in a way that is respectful of cultural and religious differences.
About the DC Service Corps Program:
The DC Service Corps (DCSC) Program offers young-adult Catholics opportunities to learn about nonprofits, deepen one’s commitment to service, grow in faith, and live out the Franciscan values daily. In the spirit of Saints Francis and St. Clare, volunteers serve for a year in various ministries, sharing Christ’s love and cultivating relationships of peace and justice.
This transformative experience is enriched by an intentional Christian community, in which volunteers focus on simple living, prayer, reflection, and living the Gospel mission of “service and action for a more just and humane world.” As a house of hospitality, Casa San Salvador provides volunteers with the opportunity to live with (and offer hospitality to) guests from around the world.
DC Service Corps Program – Service Access Team Member
The Service Access Team Member will serve with The Father McKenna Center, a local nonprofit striving to “accompany and care for men facing homelessness and families struggling with poverty” in underserved communities within the shadow of the US Capitol. (www.fathermckennacenter.org)
– Provide direct assistance to meet the needs of the 100+ men who enter the doors of The Father McKenna Center’s drop-in shelter on a daily basis
– Serve low-income families through managing the daily food pantry and helping the families “shop” for the groceries they need
– Welcome men experiencing homelessness and connect them to social services provided including: meals, laundry services, showers, phones, clothing closet, computer lab, etc.
– Listen, respond to and encourage the men to engage with the case management team and the men’s support group sessions
– Assist staff with operations, social media initiatives and special projects
– Must be 21-35 years old and have a desire to develop servant leadership skills
– Have a demonstrated commitment to service, social justice, and one’s own faith development
– Open to learning about Franciscan spirituality and committed to living in intentional community
– Flexibility and willingness to work in a team to meet the needs of the community served
– Ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds, including those who may struggle with mental illness and experiences of trauma
– Sensitivity to the needs of those experiencing homelessness and economic poverty
– Commitment to finding long-term solutions to end homelessness while also attending to the immediate needs of those experiencing homelessness
– Ability to pass a background check
– Counseling or social work background helpful, but not required
-Experience working with a mission-based organization
– Friendships through life in intentional community
– Professional development and spiritual formation
– Monthly stipend, health insurance, and a fully-furnished bedroom.
How to apply:
-Submit an application by visiting the following webpage: https://franciscanmissionservice.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/DCSC-2021-2022-Streamlined-Application-Blank.docx
-Or by emailing [email protected] for more information!