White Violet Center for Eco-Justice (WVC) is looking for interns for our spring 2021 cohort on our certified organic farm. Located at beautiful Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Indiana, WVC is 80 miles west of Indianapolis. Our farm, which grows a variety of crops including flowers, is USDA certified organic. We have two high tunnels, two greenhouses, an apple orchard, berry patch and a classified forest. We also have a herd of alpacas and a flock chickens.
We are a teaching farm. Our spring internship is an immersive, practical experience where you’ll learn firsthand about local agriculture, animal husbandry and fiber arts under the direction of our team of dedicated and caring people. You’ll also work and live side-by-side with other interns from all over the country.
Job Description: Interns work approximately 35-45 hours per week, five days a week including some weekends. Responsibilities include:
• Learn the different aspects of fiber which include skirting, carding, dyeing, knitting, spinning, weaving, crocheting and felting
• Use your skills to create fiber products
• Feed and care for alpacas and chickens
• Gather, clean and process eggs
• Maintain coops, barns and pastures
• Work in our store and assist at the indoor farmers market
• Plant, mulch, weed, and other seasonal farm tasks
• Harvest, clean and pack seasonal vegetables, fruit, herbs, berries and flowers
• Partake in weekly extracurricular enrichment activities
• Attend monthly staff meetings
• Participate in field trips and educational seminars
• Present a project of your choice at the end of your experience
Start Date: Jan. 11, 2021
End Date: May 14, 2021
Application Deadline: Nov. 20, 2020
• Internship may qualify for independent study
• A total stipend of $1575 for the entire 18 week internship which will be paid out in monthly increments. (local interns who do not need housing will receive an adjusted amount
• Furnished, private room in a fully furnished house with heat, air conditioning and Wi-Fi
• Shared common spaces (with up to seven others) include fully outfitted kitchen, three bathrooms, living room, dining room
• Seasonal produce and eggs from the farm
• Washer and dryer on premises
• Household items such as laundry soap and cleaning supplies are included
• 18 years old by Jan. 10, 2021
• Willingness to learn and the ability to self-direct.
• Physically fit, capable of lifting heavy items, and able to use basic tools such as a shovel and wheelbarrow
• Prepared to work in a variety of weather conditions
• Previous experience with animals is helpful but not necessary to apply
We welcome people of all faith traditions (or none), ethnicities, backgrounds, socio-economic demographics, sexual and gender orientations.
How to apply: Submit your Spring 2021 application online by Nov. 20, 2020. You will need to upload a cover letter and resume. Go to: intern.whiteviolet.org for more information.
About White Violet Center for Eco-Justice
White Violet Center for Eco-Justice, a ministry of the Sisters of Providence since 1996, is teaching, caring, inspiring for all creation. The center provides opportunities for participating in creating systems that support justice and sustainability, locally and globally. Through organic agriculture, eco-justice education and social advocacy, White Violet Center strives to promote an awareness and way of living which support all life.