The Holy Spirit Life Learning Center (HSLLC), a ministry of the Missionary Sisters Servants of the Holy Spirit, is seeking volunteers for its fifth annual Summer Peace Camp, which will take place from July 8 to August 2, 2019. The Summer Peace Camp at the HSLLC provides a welcoming and safe space, in a fun and active environment in which children can develop friendships, self-esteem and new skills for building peace in their families and in their neighborhoods.
The Summer Peace Camp is for boys and girls ages 5-13 and they are divided into three age groups: 5 – 7 years-old, 8 – 10 years-old, and 11 – 13 years-old. The Camp features a series of planned activities giving participants the opportunity to learn and practice one peace-making skill per week. Themes vary from week to week and are designed to reinforce the skill for the week.
Each day will begin with prayer and a lesson from Scripture (the Bible). Learning and recreational activities will include: arts & crafts, team building indoor and outdoor games, group field trips, and other group projects.
Responsibilities and Duties:
Volunteers are expected to be able to:
1. Work in a team of 3 to 4 persons to plan and execute age appropriate activities for Summer Peace Camp participants.
2. Assist assigned campers with activities for Peace-building skills.
3. Follow Summer Peace Camp policies and procedures at all times.
4. Be aware of the camper’s health information and become familiar with campers’ special needs, if a child has any.
5. Facilitate a fun, educational and safe summer camp experience for campers.
6. Accompany campers to scheduled activities.
7. Ensure that campers have what they need for each activity and that the child is dressed appropriately for that activity.
8. See to care and needs of assigned campers.
9. Supervise children during break times, according to the schedule assigned by the team.
10. Bring health related issues immediately to the executive director, director’s assistant or case manager.
11. Promote safety in every possible way.
12. Participate with campers in all activities, including classroom activities, recreational activities at the parks, outings, field trips, organized games, prayer, and other tasks assigned by the Executive Director or by the team.
13. Complete evaluations at the end of each day, each week and at the end of the camp, and turn them in.
14. Be constantly vigilant for potential physical or mental health problems among campers.
15. Be flexible in any and all areas of the Camp as needed and directed.
*Commitment to the HSLLC’s mission, Summer Peace Camp goals and objectives, willingness to help people, and skills to work with others are a must.
Prospective volunteers must be 18 years or older.
Have a High School Diploma or be a College Student
Capacity to work in teams, and collaborate with preparation and delivery of activities for campers.
Maturity to handle conflict.
Be cooperative, and help to maintain a clean, safe, and organized working/playing areas.
Skills in arts and crafts, leadership, and technology.
Good communication and problem-solving skills.
Must like working with children. Ideally with some experience in babysitting or tutoring.
Knowledge of the basic teachings of the Catholic faith.
Physical demands: Be physically able to keep up with and manage a group of 5 – 13 year olds. Be able to walk long distances, or run at times; be able to lift up or move small furniture, and participate in specific Summer Peace Camp activities.
Team building workshop
Start date: June 24, 2019
Length of Service: 7 weeks, Monday through Friday, 8 hours per day. Weekends are free.
Time Commitment: 7 weeks: This includes 2 weeks for preparation, 4 weeks for the program, and 1 week for evaluation, clean-up, and other closing activities. The HSLLC is seeking 6 full time volunteers, and 6 part time volunteers.
Volunteers will gain experience and develop leadership skills by planning and executing learning/recreational activities for children.
Service hours can be used to fulfill school requirements.
The volunteer experience can be useful for building a resume.
Room and board can be provided for female volunteers where they will have the possibility to live and share community life with the Holy Spirit Missionary Sisters.
Even though all volunteer positions with the Holy Spirit Life Learning Center are unpaid, small stipends may be given if funds are available.
How to apply/contact: Please contact Arantxa Martinez via e-mail at [email protected] or by telephone at (847) 881- 8803. Deadline to apply is April 30, 2019.