Marianist PULSE is a post-graduate, professional year of service program. We cover all costs – housing, food, transportation, healthcare and living stipend – while Volunteers serve in professional non-profits for 11 months. Spiritual formation, professional development and intentional community living root the experience. Learn more on our website (marianist.com/pulse) but in the meantime, consider this nonprofit role…
The Dakota Center’s mission is Building Character and Connecting Community. Our vision is being a leading center in Dayton to consistently build community across generations. We accomplish this by educating the whole person, provide a safe and trusted environment, serve all with charity, and awaken full human potential.
The guiding light of the Dakota Center remains our founder, Fr. Philp Hoelle, SM (1912-2005). Father Hoelle believed in serving others. He listened rather than preached, encouraged people to meet their potential and treated the great and the small with dignity and respect. He combined his passion for learning with the wisdom of virtue in the service of other.
Position: PULSE Volunteer Coordinator
Hours 11:00am to 6:00pm Monday through Friday.
Position Overview: The Volunteer Coordinator helps to fulfill our mission by recruiting, supervising, and working with youth and adult academic/literacy mentors in the Homework Club After-School Program and the Senior Adult Program. This position also provides direct service to our students through individual tutoring services. Finally, the position is responsible for all necessary and required paperwork for each volunteer and is required to keep all files current and in order.
- Primary Functions (70%):
- Recruit adult and high school volunteers to serve as Homework Club helpers and then assign/schedule them as academic tutors including reading buddies and small mentoring groups/general senior program support
- Further develop volunteer orientation/recruiting/operation (including recognition both individual and annual event) policies/procedures building off the previous effort. Update/Revise website and develop content for other social media platforms – “Telling the story” of the success of the volunteers’ efforts
- Supervise volunteers and assist them when questions arise, scheduling conflicts occur, and be their main communication contact for Dakota Center and with the student’s family.
- Engage with our students on an informal level to identify best match reading buddies and mentors.
- Direct report to the Homework Club Program Coordinator.
- Secondary Functions (20%):
- Role model positive interaction with after school students, parents, and their guests.
- Tutor and present activities as needed or as assigned by the Homework Club Program Coordinator.
- Chaperone field trips and assist with special events planning and implementation.
- Administration (10%):
- Track all volunteer hours keeping all information current, accurate, and complete.
- Maintain volunteer files and update as needed to be in compliance with best practices
- Other assigned duties as directed by the Homework Club Program Coordinator.
Questions? Contact us at [email protected]