White Violet Center for Eco-Justice (WVC) is now accepting applications for up to eight interns for our fall program which begins in mid-August and ends before Thanksgiving. Located at beautiful Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Indiana, WVC is 80 miles west of Indianapolis. Here you’ll find a farm store, alpacas, chickens, bees, USDA certified farm with two high tunnels, two greenhouses, an orchard, a berry patch, and a classified forest. At WVC you’ll get to work with our team of dedicated and caring people. You’ll also work and live with other interns from all over the country, in this hands-on learning environment.
Description: You’ll learn about the food supply chain, sustainability, eco-justice and what it takes to run a small USDA certified organic farm. Interns work approximately 35-45 hours per week, five days a week including some weekends.
- Plant, mulch, weed, and other agriculture tasks
- Work with and produce items made with alpaca and other fiber
- Harvest, clean and pack vegetables, fruit, herbs and berries
- Gather, clean and process eggs
- Feed and care for alpacas and chickens
- Maintain coops, barns and pastures
- Work in our farm store and assist at the local farmers market
- Attend monthly staff meetings
- Participate in educational seminars and enrichment activities
- Present a project of your choice at the end of your experience
- Internship may qualify for independent study
- A total stipend of $525
- Private room in a fully furnished house with heat and air conditioning
- Shared bathrooms and common spaces
- One daily meal in Providence Hall Dining Room seven days a week
- Eggs and seasonal produce from the farm
- Washer and dryer on premises
- Household items such as laundry soap and cleaning supplies included
- 18 years old by Aug. 17, 2020
- Willingness to learn and the ability to self-direct
- Physically fit, capable of lifting heavy items
- Able to use basic tools such as a shovel and wheelbarrow
- Prepared to work in a variety of weather conditions
- Previous experience with animals is helpful but not necessary to apply
White Violet Center for Eco-Justice, established in 1996, is a ministry of the Sisters of Providence of Saint-Mary-of-the-Woods. The Center provides opportunities for participating in creating systems that support justice and sustainability, locally and globally. Through organic agriculture, eco-justice education and social advocacy, White Violet Center strives to promote an awareness and way of living which support all life.
We welcome people of all faith traditions (or none), ethnicities, backgrounds, socio-economic demographics, sexual and gender orientations.
Note: During the COVID-19 pandemic some program features may be adjusted to accommodate safety guidelines and protocols established by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the Sisters of Providence. Any such changes will be outlined and discussed during the interview process.
How to apply: Submit your application online at internships.whiteviolet.org by July 10, 2020. You will need to upload a cover letter and resume. You’ll also need to supply two references. If you have questions please contact Sr. Mary Montgomery, intern coordinator at [email protected].