Are you interested in serving the community of chronically ill individuals in Washington, DC? Franciscan Mission Service is looking for a full-time volunteer to fill the position of New Client Associate with Food & Friends.
Food & Friends was started in 1988 in response to the HIV/AIDS crisis at the time. They have since expanded to serve clients with cancer and other life-challenging illnesses. By providing medically tailored, home delivered meals and medical nutrition therapy, the aim of Food & Friends is to improve the lived and health of our clients through our interventions. www.foodandfriends.org
As the New Client Associate, the service corps volunteer will be the face of Food & Friends, the first person to interact with new clients. Duties will include:
- Carrying out first day deliveries to new clients and acquainting them with Food & Friends’ services.
- Listening to the clients, learning their unique stories, and providing support during a difficult time as they transition to and are accepted into a community of caring
- Assisting with special projects including the Annual Thanksgiving Day Feast and the Holiday Gift Program.
- Note: This position provides the opportunity for daily client interaction and allows the member to witness the impact of food and nutrition for those living with HIV/AIDS and other life-challenging illnesses. Many members who go on to health careers have found that this placement provided them with experiences that helped them to find their niche.
- Organizational skills, interpersonal skills, basic computer knowledge and the ability to work independently
- Must be self-starter and be willing to interact and build relationships with clients.
- Good driving record and a valid driver’s license is required. The member should be willing to travel to diverse neighborhoods in MD, MD, and VA and be comfortable meeting with new clients to provide orientations (will travel in a Food & Friends vehicle).
- Compassion for and sensitivity in working with diverse populations.
- Flexibility and willingness to work in a team to meet the needs of the community served
- Ability to pass a drug test
- To apply, email [email protected] and attach your resume and cover letter.
- Accepting applications until June 30, 2022 or until the position is filled.
- Young-adult Catholics with a heart for service are encouraged to apply, even if they may not meet every qualification listed above