Are you interested in serving the population of individuals experiencing homelessness in Washington, DC? Join DC Service Corps, a program offers young-adult Catholics opportunities to learn about nonprofits, deepen their commitment to service, grow in faith, and live out the Franciscan values on a daily basis. The Services Access Team Member will serve with The Father McKenna Center, a local nonprofit striving to “accompany and care for men facing homelessness and families struggling with poverty” in underserved communities within the shadow of the US Capitol. (www.fathermckennacenter.org)
- Provide direct assistance to meet the needs of the 40+ men who enter the doors of The Father McKenna Center’s drop-in shelter on a daily basis
- Serve low-income families through managing the daily food pantry or helping the families “shop” for the groceries they need
- Welcome men experiencing homelessness and connect them to social services provided including: meals, laundry services, showers, phones, clothing closet, computer lab, etc.
- Listen, respond to and encourage the men to engage with the case management team and the men’s support group sessions
- Assist staff with operations, social media initiatives and special projects
- Flexibility and willingness to work in a team to meet the needs of the community served
- Ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds, including those who may struggle with mental illness and experiences of trauma
- Sensitivity to the needs of those experiencing homelessness and economic poverty
- Commitment to finding long-term solutions to end homelessness while also attending to the immediate needs of those experiencing homelessness
- Ability to pass a background check
- Counseling or social work background helpful, but not required
- Fluency in Spanish is desired, but not required
- Ability to lift 35 lbs. or more and be on one’s feet throughout the day
- To apply, email [email protected]org and attach your resume and cover letter.
- Accepting applications until June 30, 2022 or until the position is filled.
- Young-adult Catholics with a heart for service are encouraged to apply, even if they may not meet every qualification listed above