Are you looking to explore a new city, discover a deeper spirituality and be a part of a truly transformative experience? Volunteer alongside Felician Sisters to nurture a safe, welcoming, faith-inspired community that promotes the dignity of each person.
Felician Volunteers in Mission (VIM) is the volunteer program of the Felician Sisters of North America that offers formation in the Felician- Franciscan values, spirituality and charism, engagement with Felician Sisters, and service to those in need.
Deo Gratias Ministries Programs and Areas of Ministry:
- Café: Welcome and serve coffee and refreshments to guests, offering a ministry of presence by listening to people, learning about the neighborhood, and identifying additional needs.
- Food Pantry: Stock shelves, pick up donations, and help guests make food selections.
- Literacy Program: Work one-on-one with adults or children, to assess and help build reading skills.
- Community Garden: Dig, plant, weed, harvest, and share, producing vegetables and herbs that give fresh and healthy foods to the neighborhood.
- Art Program: Facilitate art classes, to bring beauty and pride to guests’ homes and to the neighborhood.
- Private bedroom in a residence in Detroit, Michigan
- Small (3-5) community living experience including room, board and personal living expenses (shampoo, soap, toothpaste, laundry detergent, paper products, etc.)
- Car for transportation to ministry and errands
- $150 monthly stipend
- Assistance with loan deferment
- Volunteer in Mission Retreats
- Vacation and holiday time
Watch the video – “A Day in the Life” of the most recent volunteers to get a glimpse of their “off-time” as a Volunteer in Mission.
The first Felician Sisters arrived in North America in 1874 to minister to immigrant families. Pioneers of social services, the Sisters sponsor hospices, schools, childcare centers, hospitals, homeless shelters, food pantries, nursing homes, affordable housing communities and missions in Haiti and Canada. Constantly evolving to meet the needs of the time, they continue to follow God’s will and their Foundress Blessed Mary Angela’s directive to “serve where you are needed.”