POSITION: Middle School Science Lead Teacher
LOCATION: Macuelizo, Santa Barbara, Honduras — Amigos de Jesus Bilingual School and Children’s Home
TIME COMMITMENT: July 2023 – June 2024
ABOUT AMIGOS: The Amigos de Jesús family is a sanctuary of hope, healing and transformation in Honduras, where vulnerable children and young adults thrive and discover their God-given potential. Amigos de Jesús Bilingual School exists on an extension of the property of the Home and serves both children from the Home and students from the surrounding communities. We offer a quality bilingual education at an affordable cost, with every community family provided some level of scholarship opportunity, while integrating the Amigos de Jesus values in our classrooms as an essential component of the education we provide. Amigos de Jesús aims to raise the overall standard of learning in our region and encourage critical thinking and autonomy in our students, training the next generation of Honduran citizens and preparing them for economic and social leadership of their families and country.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Amigos de Jesus Bilingual School invites 3 applicants to join our multicultural team of Honduran and international employees where we serve both children from our children’s home as well as children from the surrounding rural communities in our Preschool through 9th Grade Bilingual Program. Kindergarten through 9th Grade receive English Language Arts, Math, and Science in English-immersion classrooms. Our classrooms never reach over 25 students and with a full team, each elementary school lead teacher will have a teaching assistant, with middle school teachers providing additional resource support to each other. Teachers are expected to be open to trauma-informed practices in the classroom, adaptable, humble, focused on finding solutions, collaborative, and self-motivated.
Amigos de Jesus provides a 6 Week In Person Training Period where teachers will become oriented to Honduras and Amigos de Jesus as well as receive pedagogical and trauma-informed training with a small group or an individual mentor as teachers walk through the curriculum, discipline protocol, and English language learning strategies.
Prior to arrival, Amigos asks those without degrees in Education or experience in the classroom to shadow 1-2 classrooms, and watch a series of videos regarding trauma and stress on the developing brain as well as teaching English as a second language. Our new international team members and new in-country team members arrive at Amigos de Jesus on July 11th to begin orientation and pedagogical training with our alumni and education experts on the ground, with our returning team members arriving a few weeks later.
- Follow the provided curriculum lesson plans and make accommodations when necessary
- Adhere to the school discipline protocol and implement trauma-informed practices into daily routines and expectations
- Collaborate with the team and accept feedback and support from peers and supervisors
- Facilitate a safe and engaging classroom environment for all students
- Fulfill recess duties on a rotating schedule
- Communicate openly with team and supervisors
- Assist the entire school team on school projects and special events
- Participate in all school-required functions
- Use a translation application for important school messages or attend Spanish language school (request more info!)
- Have a positive, solution-seeking attitude
REQUIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Completed Bachelor’s Degree (all majors considered)
- Ability to adapt
- Cultural Humility
- Proactive Communicator
- Willingness to learn from peers and take direction from supervisors
- Willingness to operate in a rural region of Honduras with living conditions such as: cold water (hot water attachments can be purchased, but each teacher is responsible for the costs associated), power outages, open-air homes, and shared housing
PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Degree in Education
- At least 1 year of experience working in Education, Psychology, or related field or Master’s Degree in a related field
- Some experience in Latin America or working alongside Latin American communities
- Familiar with principles of TBRI or Trauma-Informed Classrooms
BENEFITS: All International Teachers receive…
- $500 USD monthly
- International Health Insurance through DayTripper
- Housing (within a shared living accommodation, option for on-site living or off-site living depending on availability)
- High-speed internet and all utilities provided
- Parcial Flight Reimbursement for Returning Employees
- 1 provided roundtrip visit to San Pedro Sula, La Entrada, or Santa Rosa every other month
- Transportation to/from the airport for arrival, departure, and Christmas vacation or Easter Vacation flights
- All Visa/Residency processes and fees covered by the organization
- 6 week in-person orientation and summer training, and ongoing training and professional development throughout the academic year
- Discount on attending immersion Spanish language courses in Copan Ruinas through an organization run by local women in Copan
- Spanish Language Immersion and opportunities to grow Spanish skills
APPLY: Please send your resume to [email protected] to request an application. Interviews are conducted on a rolling basis until all positions are filled. Positions are filled by International Teachers as well as Hondural Bilingual Teachers from the region. The Early Bird Application Deadline for International Teachers is May 18th and is highly encouraged.
More information about Amigos de Jesus can be found at www.amigosdejesus.org or follow our school’s facebook page: Amigos de Jesus Bilingual School-Oficial.